Another big event this week: Mother's birthday. Work and other things have been all-consuming this last week (hence no posts here) but tonight was a raging success. First a quick trip to the mall for some presents. Dont faint, I bought the cards weeks ago. Then a trip to the grocery store for the freshest of fresh ingredients for the cake. It was with sadness I paused in the baking aisle, itching to reach for the phone to ask someone - Mother, Grandmother "Do I need White Lilly or can I use regular flour" and knowing that no one could answer that question. So-I-Punted.
Now this may not seem like a big deal to you, but trust me, making this cake and this cooked icing is a big deal for me. I only do it once, maybe twice a year. My cakes will never raise as high as the Himes Family Women of Legendary Cooking. aka Grandmother and Greatgrandmother. Oh I have made this cake side-by-side with my MIL. Still It never raises as high as hers. But I did it. And the icing is not goo - it thickened up as required on the first pass. Usually I have to try the icing twice. Success. I hope she likes it.
In other hilarious moments, I took the kids to Outback for dinner after flute and picking trash out of the national park creeks for extra credit in Science (I don't ask too many questions these days....) After figuring she could, in fact, order two baked sweet potatoes as a side because, well, she gets her choice of 2 sides and why can't she choose the same thing twice? And then eating both potatoes (Aunt W are you reading this? She is a Faison after all) and the steak and the cheese fries (appetizer) and the strawberry smoothie she declares, "Stick an apple in my mouth I am done." HUH? I thought it was "Stick a fork in me I'm done." 'NO mom, pigs have apples in their mouths when they are cooked. So stick an apple in my mouth I'm done." OK. I think, as Poppy would say, she was Completely Suronsified.....
What's this you ask? Another achievement. I managed to clean as I went, leaving only a few dishes in the sink after the icing. A major accomplishment for me. I swear, honest, the rest of my counters are clean (really clean - I scrubbed them while the cake baked! Miraculous, trust me....)
4 comments:
What you need is more practice. So in that vein, I am sure that many of your local friends and somewhat distant relatives would not mind receiving a baked treat periodically. Last time I spoke with an attorney, they enjoy treats as much as anybody (because it was you). There need be no occasion. Just bake until you feel competent. You can spread the joy around.
Yeah, right. Like that is all that is going on in your life.
ROFLMAO. You are the second Man to give me this advice - "just practice more." Uh-huh. I am already a size bigger than I was last year at this time (the pants people, no jokes about other body parts). And yes, time is a small factor. But I should practice more. It's the only way to get better at anything! I'll consider it...maybe if certain cousins dropped in it would give me a reason to bake?!
On my way cuz! Oh wait..that isn't until June. Okay, so I challenge you....make a tall fluffy cake for us while we are there in June!! Practice Now! Yeah...yeah..that will work! (Oh and we eat flat, mushy cakes too! LOL!)
Baking is therapeutic! All that stirring and beating and whipping and chopping! What's not to like?
Hmmmm, now I can't wait for some bananas to die on the vine so I can go make some banana-chocolate-chip-raisin bread. Also known as "breakfast bread" since I usually have a slice for breakfast.
And the cake looks and sounds great!
Post a Comment