Thursday, April 24, 2008
The Ending Of An Era
It is with sadness we note the passing of Great Grandmother Kathleen, a regal lady, devoted matriarch, amazing person. Great Grandmother (K's Grandmother), was, to me, a Grandmother like I had never known. My own Grandmother passed when I was a young teen and lived so far away, unfortunately I did not know her well. I remember her wonderful stories, but she never shared in my marriage, my kids' lives, many of the things I was blessed to share with Great Grandmother. Great Grandmother delighted in her grandchildren and doted on her Great Grandchildren. The Twins, particularly Au as a baby with his outgoing and showy personality (the "onliest from her onliest" aka the only boy until very recently) garnered lots of special attention. In recent years I think she really started to appreciate Sh's nature, her caring, and her love and devotion for her Great Grandmother. GG took me in as her own, "bragged on me" as the Southerners say to her friends and neighbors. An amazing self-taught cook and baker, she taught me to make strawberry shortcakes, strawberry preserves, fresh cream corn from the cob, tried to teach me to make her biscuits (I never succeeded), and answered the phone many times to my cries for help of "Do I cover this?" "What should it look like when I'm mixing it up?" "It seems runny, is that right?" "Do I add all the ingredients or is there a special order?" "How long to you cook that?" Sadly I did not have the talent to learn to make her many crafts. She could look at something from a craft fair and duplicate and improve it without a pattern. Amazing. Even after K and I separated, she still proudly introduced me to her helpers in her retirement home as her "Lawyer granddaughter." I will never forget that moment. She had a huge heart. She lived 94 spectacular years, brought much joy to many people. She is now in a better place, whole once again, enjoying her crocheting, crafts, cooking, and looking down on her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, side by side once again with her husband.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
My condolences on the passing of GG. She sounds like wonderful person.
The Oz family is saddened by the passing of GG. God sure is picking up some incredible souls of late. Grandma Hawley - Grandmother - we sure have some wonderful Angels watching out for us and our kids huh Cousin!
Post a Comment