Posting hasn't been as regular as I would like it. Not that there isn't a lot going on. The kids are winding down their school year.
This is "band concert" week. Last night was the "ensemble night" - all the afterschool and before school bands and groups, with some individual performances, too. I am amazed at how many small groups the music teacher puts together on his own time. Sh's woodwind ensemble performed - a small group that meets 1x a week before school. Just 3 flutes, 3 clarinets, a base clarinet and an oboe (I think?). It's the first time I've heard them - they usually just do small performances for meetings and things. I enjoyed them. She's so funny - she complains about it, hates getting up extra early on Wednesday to go in early, doesn't enjoy performing, thinks they stink, but does it anyway?! It's extracuricular, not a requirement. Maybe she feels she can't say "no" to the band director. Anyway, I find it curious.
Au played with the almighty Jazz Band. That's another afterschool only band, yet they have maybe 30 members and are outstanding. There's also a jazz ensemble of smaller caliber and a "jazz lab" where the kids get together and learn to improv. I'm hoping he'll also join one of the smaller jazz groups next year. Silly boy gets intimidated by the other pianists - there are 3 total. He has no clue how talented he is! And although he loves to play the piano and does so daily, he doesn't like performing. Jazz band has a lot of mini-solos and the teacher wants him to do them, but he nearly always declines. Interesting.
Thursday night we go back for the Wind ensemble performance - Thursday is all the "big bands" - the school class bands and the more "typical" concert evening. Sh will perform in that, too.
The funniest part of the night: after the concert, Sh, in her long formal outfit and my very high heels, wanted a "piggy back" to the car. Of course Au was willing to oblige. But she couldn't ride piggy back. I jokingly said, "He could carry you." and he did. You know, like the way the groom carries the bride across the threshold. He carried her all the way across the parking lot and deposited her in the car. He really does dote on her - when he's not tormenting her....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Sounds like Sh and Au have the typical brother-sister relationship. Just ask JO about RF.
It is great, however to hear about the extracurricular music groups each belongs as years from now, both will look back and see how much fun was had.
Post a Comment