Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Tribute To Karen

As my "regular" readers know, I am big on tributes. Today I give the nod to Karen, my SIL (former? someday former). It's her bday [note: this was written on her bday but some glitch didn't post it, so I'm a couple days late!] What makes her special? Her neverending compassion and giving.

Karen is and always has been the first to say, "I can" "I will" "Count me in" "Count on me" whether it's baking, shopping, organizing, supporting, teaching, babysitting, whatever. She's there. For you, family, friend, neighbor, stranger. She's there. Stretched to the max. Never complains. Amazing person.

Lately the whole MIL thing has been tough. Karen travels over 1 hour each way at least 3 times a week to be with her mother. Works with her mother in physical therapy. Hounds the Doctors regarding the medicines. Balances the needs of dad vs. mom. Cajoles her brother into communicating. Meanwhile somehow arranges to get her own 3 kids where they need to be. Someone who was stretched thin before Mother's accident, Karen has somehow found 36 hours in days where I thought there were only 24.

My heartfelt love, thanks and praise go out to Karen. No she'll probably never see this. I'm not sure she knows this blog exists. And even if she did, she doesn't have time to fool around reading blogs. But for those of you reading this, send out a prayer for her. Or love. OR good vibes. Or peaceful meditation, or whatever it is you practice. Because Karen needs it, deserves it, and would be the last soul on earth to ask for it. She amazes me and awes me and astounds me every single day. She is selfless and loving even when she has little left to give. I am thankful she is still a part of my life. I know that causes some strife for her. She finds herself caught in the middle but some manages to Be Switzerland. She endeavors to understand my issues and her brother's issues. She puts aside her own issues. And then remembers that above all, it's her parents' issues that matter most.

May I simply say, "Thanks Karen for being you."

1 comment:

JO said...

Hey Karen - you sound like one amazing woman! I know, I know..."you just do it"...but it seems like you truly know just HOW to do it!