Well, my quandry was solved by my doting cousin who said "All is well." See, he emailed me just a day or so ago about coming my way for work and wanting to pop by and visit. And of course I would want to visit with such an affiable, loving cousin! But when you have logged 13 billable hours Sunday and 14 billable hours monday, chances are you haven't done any cooking recently in order to host the cousin. SO the question becomes, "Leftovers? Or dinner out." Now I'd rather eat in, b/c I just wanted to visit. And we would both be driving so much that I figured a drive to a restaurant wasn't welcomed by either. And I know how it is to eat out a lot when you're on the road. But LEFTOVERS? For a GUEST? You must be kidding.
What to do what to do. I know what Emily Post would do. Roll over in her grave. My grandmother (Our Grandmother) is rolling over in her grave. SO I asked him, "Hey D, here's your choices. Dinner out. Or leftover tacos. Sorry, I haven't been to the grocery store in ages nor have I had time to cook." He is such a great guy. He opted for Tacos. And no worries.
And we had great conversation. And wonderful interruptions from his lovely daughter who was setting up her new cell phone (imagine a child who loses/breaks/otherwise destroys cell phones. Who knew?!). Loving the look on his face when her ring popped up. Listening to his ideas on family, work, friends, life, marriage. Sharing stories. Enjoying the feeling of extended family.
Thanks D for making my night. So good to see you. Hope you'll come by again soon. And next time, I promise a real meal!!!
OH and a sidebar to Carol P: Flat Emily did get into the show and we did take pictures!!! I tried to talk D out of Flat Emily to take her to Puerto Rico, but alas his duty was to E.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
A leftover dinner? Served by the second to youngest granddaughter of Laura Faison? You have got to be kidding. Grandma is truly rolling...over to Pop and saying "now why didn't that young lady just send you to Kentucky Fried Chicken". LOL! Don't forget my dear OLDER cousin (just had to get that dig in!) that our Grandmother was an amazing cook, but by the time we came along(meaning the two cutest of her grandchildren - ala ME and well...me!) she was more interested in visiting than cooking or eating out....and so were we...I remember many a ham sandwich for lunch and many a KFC dinner followed by the only cake I ever remember Grandma making - Pepperidge Farms White Cake with Coconut! (mmmmm....whenever I need comfort food, it is her recipe for Mac and Cheese, and a slice of the PF cake...and I am good to go!)
Oh...and I would give anything to catch up with you over leftover tacos any day (or pizza, or even a slice o' Grandma's PF cake!).
Thanks for the laugh!
Oh c'mon now. I do NOT have any recollection of Kentucky Fried w/Grandma. but I do remember those Peppridge Farm cakes. I hated the coconut so we always had the devil's food. Yum. I had forgotten about those. Thanks so much for reintroducing an evil food group I had (previously) banished from my repetoire of evil foods.... I remember sit down lunches in the dining room with everything beautifully arranged on plates. Of course I am so much OLDER than you (what, 4 weeks? Oh and happy birthday!!), that I would remember such details.
And if we could find an evening together that would be awesome. Never say never...
Apparently, GF liked you guys best, because as JO reports, we always had KFC. From the KFC up on Rte 30. And I certainly remember our cousins from East McKeesport eating KFC right along with us. With bottles of pop from the basement. I don't remember the PF cake though.
And it was always presented nicely, that's for sure.
Glad that you had a great time and that Flat Emily was there so we got pictures. E will be thrilled!
And I'd be happy to serve you leftovers the next time you head out to the Pacific NW!
Don't know if you two will ever see this comment, but as an addendum, my mother has explained why I don't remember KFC - and not b/c Grandma loved us better. B/c you spent more time with her! You visited more often - we were lucky to see her 2x a year. So my mom says we did have the occasional KFC, but usually we didn't, simply b/c we visited so rarely. So that's my story and I'm stickin' to it....
Post a Comment