Ah yes, the Week of the Year is upon us. "BIRTH WEEK" It started Friday with the Birthday Fairy who came, oh, around 4am when she remembered it was "time" for an appearance. Balloons and streamers and signs appeared about the house, announcing the BIG DAY. Twins awoke to the leavings of the Birthday Fairy, and a breakfast of strawberries, bacon and pancakes. Both were up early and ready for the day. The regular bus had issues, so they rode in style on a Charter Bus, SH announcing, "I Love My Birthday!" They got to school and were told to report to "Brother M's room, immediately" - where their friends had arranged a before school party with cookies, brownies, candy and fun. Funny how the "dreaded brother M" who kicked their butts in honors english their freshman year is now their favorite friend. Such a cool man. Sh later admitted to having cake for lunch, b/c "Hey it's my birthday and I can eat what I want." Then we had an early dinner - with grandparents AND dad, who managed to cancel his late afternoon meeting so that he could make the very early birthday dinner. Why so early? B/c when you are 15 and have a girlfriend and friends, you need to see movies on Friday night. And the only movie in the universe worth seeing, according to Au, was "Across the Universe" which played only at 6:25pm. So an early dinner, followed by a trip to the movies for Au. Sh caught a ride home with the grandparents, then had girlfriends over for a sleepover. I filled them full of the obligatory cake, ice cream, and random junk food. They watched movies and played video games and seemed to have fun.
Saturday:
We all slept in a little - me longer than usual, them not so long, meaning we all got up at 9:30. The girls, being girls, didn't want breakfast. So I enticed them with strawberries and whipped cream and.....milkshakes. They turned down pancakes and eggs. But milkshakes? Yessirreee. OK so those have um, protein? And Calcium? yep, some redeeming nutritional value I am sure. Then Au finally got up and joined the world. Because I promised him a shopping trip to pick up his present. Finally finally after a long wait, XBOX 360. We shopped the web, where he discovered Guitar Hero III is being released TOMORROW. So he used money from his grandparents to buy that - preordered. Let's hope he doesn't get backordered. Then we went to Circuit City to shop for an XBox. And a Flat screen TV for the basement (which we didn't buy for various reasons). Then to the used car lots to try out the Honda Pilot. My beloved Saab is dying. I have poured money into it, but it keeps leaking. I have decided it's time to replace the car with something more practical. I was talking to a friend tonight about Karma and asked if my bad car Karma is indicative of bad choices in my life? Au contraire says friend, rather it is my car helping me to make the necessary change in my life. And yes, I think about the fact that 2 months ago I admitted that I needed to get a more pratical car, but that I loved my car and didn't want to give it up. Now, $3000 later and dying a little more every day, I am rushing to ditch this horrid piece of metal. Funny how that happens. Anyway, it was fun shopping cars with Au. He is so much like his dad it is scary. First, he is thoughtful and detail oriented. He pointed out that the "3rd row" seating in the Highlander would never fit a teenager. Cross that off the list. He pointed out that the blue Pilot we tested was used, yes, but just nasty in an indescribable way. Oh it had been cleaned up. But you could tell it had not been "loved." Then we were at CarMax where he spotted a gorgeous Lincoln aviator. It was a few thousand over the "threshold" price I told him about. He was quick to rationalize, "But this is like new, 18K miles, well kept, whistles and bells so spend a few thousand more." (just like his dad...) And I said, "YES BUT it's more than I am spending so forget it." He said, "well don't buy a new TV or a new couch for the basement and you can spend the extra money on the car." What a negotiator! But no, I will not spend more than I planned. I will be patient. So we did not buy a car today. But I am looking seriously....
Then we made a quick stop at Home Depot for a leaf blower. My yard needs serious attention. And AU is going to work off the "xbox deficit" by doing ALL the leaves. But first we need a leaf blower. And it was so much fun to watch him pick one out. There were 3 backpack models - the one K took with him (top of the line and too big for me), the middle of the line and the bottom of the line and then the myriad of hand-helds. Au quickly pointed out and demonstrated why we wanted a backpack model. Then he carefully compared the 3 backpacks, noting weight, how they turned on and off, how the nozzles worked. Etc. He is so much like his dad - in good ways!!! Very detail oriented. Very knowledgable. We bought the middle of the road (b/c I could lift it).
Then on to home to take them to their "Saturday Night" destinations. Another sleepover for Sh. To a friends' for Au. Work at home for momma.
Tomorrow is open house at the high school where we will all be "selling" SJC as tour guides. then soccer. then homework. then off to dad's for a couple days. My how time flies!!!!
15???!!! Is it possible? As I was shopping for the car, I realized in a very real way that this might be their car next year! scary!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Happy Belated Birthday, Sh and Au! sounds like a wonderful, busy time, and MEH, you dscribed it so well I thought I was there. And how did they get to be 15 anyway???
Except for the SJC part, when I couldn't figure out why you were trying to be tour guides for the airport in Silicon Valley. But then I figured it out....
Happy Bday Au and Sh! Only 1 more year till it's drivin time! (Of course your cousin the cadet will tell ya...he can get his learning permit any time now as in our state you only have to be 15 to get your permit, and then 16 to get your full license!)
Post a Comment