Thursday, September 20, 2007

On the Other Side = Quiet

After 3 weeks of kids, 3 weeks of adjusting, 3 weeks of single parenting, I am now on the "other side." The kids are at their dad's for their first extended stay. And I am home alone. The kids decided that the dog goes with the kids because, "Well, we like you mom and dad, but we love the dog more." So I decided that despite the fact that she's my dog (my mother's day present 8 years ago and, well, I wanted her and K didn't, despite the fact that he doesn't seem to remember that!), I would let her go with the kids. And, truthfully, it all works out. Because with no kids here and dog here, I'd have to run home from work (when I eventually return there) in order to let the dog out.

So here I am. Alone, in the quiet. And I feel guilty. Because I should probably be sad. But I am not. I am enjoying the peace. I have 600 chores to do, rooms that need cleaning now that they are 1/2 empty, things that need filing now that I'm down to 1 desk, clothes that need boxing now that the season is changing. So many tiny chores. OH, and I have "work work" to do, too. Despite the fact that I was supposed to take 3 weeks off and haven't - I have reduced my schedule to just going in on wednesdays and, well, tomorrow... - I still have a lot of deliverables. Which I don't mind because I actually do like my job in the grand scheme of things.

And I am enjoying the thought of the kids being with their dad, in their new place, adjusting to their new things. They are excited about their new furniture and new rooms. I hope they are happy in their "other" home - and I want it to be a home for them. I want them to enjoy their time there, with Dad, in a new relationship. And I know that they will return to me, to spend time with me.

Yes, I missed that after school time today, "what did you do today?" I want to know if the latest Mr. Potato-head said anything new to SH today - did B talk to her after math, did E say anything about soccer? And how was soccer practice? Did they practice with the Varsity as promised? Was Emily the trainer there? How are the shins? Any new prospects for homecoming? And how was Jazz today Au? Did you have fun? Who played first? Learn any new songs? How was school? But maybe they will share that stuff with Dad, who perhaps has missed out on some of that stuff all these years. And it will be a good relationship.

So yeah, I'm ok. Enjoying my alone time. Hoping the kids are happy, knowing they are in good hands. Focusing on some projects around here. Praying it will continue to all work out.

3 comments:

JO said...

Luv ya cuz!

meh said...

Thanks Cuz. The card was so thoughtful, I can't thank you enough! Love you, too.

Carol P. said...

Hang in there. Things can be hard on the way to the new normal.

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right, this isn't the end."