Friday, September 14, 2007

More Proud Moments

Earlier this month we received an invitation to the "Academic Convocation" at the kids' high school. It seems they were to receive some kind of award. I'll admit, my 2nd reaction (after being pleased and proud) was, "Oh no another trip to the school during the week - on top of soccer!!!" The kids didn't want to go, said it was "dumb and boring." Well, they are teenagers. K stuck to his guns from the get-go and said, "Oh no we're going. This is about supporting the school and being recognized for doing well." I polled the upperclassmen kids/parents at soccer and found out K was spot-on: this is political and can be the difference between an A and a B+ in some classes. So off we went.

There were a couple hundred kids there - classes of 2008, 2009 and 2010. It was a combo recognition of last year's achievements (for a 3.6 GPA and nothing less than a B; the "San Miguel" for straight A's, and then individual awards in each area of school one for each grade) and the National Honor Society induction (for Jrs and Srs only). A & S were there for the 3.6 GPA award. When they called the kids' names, first A then S (alphabetical dontchaknow) and they walked up on that stage, shook the school President's hand, shook the Principal's hand and got their award, well, wow. K looked at me and said, "That sounded nice." Yeah, it did.

The kids are buried to their necks in homework. They are in all Honors/AP classes (yes AP as sophomores). It's a lot of reading, homework, typing, writing, etc. And we know Sh is playing soccer 7 days a week and Au has joined the jazz band and takes piano lessons, so that's a large chunk of his time. So far they are treading water - winning the race in some classes and just staying afloat in others. I know from last year's experience that they will pick up speed here in a week or so and get "with it." I also know they have cousins in extremely challenging programs who manage to make it all look easy. So I have confidence they will come out on top again this year. Meanwhile, I think although they belly-ached about the whole thing, deep down they appreciate that the school takes time to say, "Way to go kids. Keep it up."

1 comment:

DF said...

So I can say it too: Way to go Sh and A, keep it up and we are proud of you! (Ladies before gentlemen, doncha know.)