Saturday, September 22, 2007

Miles and Miles of Baseboards

Whew. And I thought I wanted a bigger house. Du-h. Smaller would be good. Smaller would be very good. This house seems to have endless baseboards, endless doors, endless smudge marks. Yes, tonight's exciting Saturday night activity was ...... drumroll please .... scrubbing the baseboards. It started innocently enough with cleaning the small stains off the carpet on the stairs. When I said to myself, "Gee, the baseboards [on the stairway] have a lot of dust and marks on them, I should scrub those." So I got out a bucket and cleanser and started to scrub, but baseboards on the stairs let to baseboards in the hallway, then the kitchen, and gee the door frames, and the doors (we have no less than 8 doors downstairs now that I think about it...ugh). Miles and miles of the stuff. and well walls get dirty, too, so let's scrub those. Why yes, my arms do hurts, my fingers are pruny despite gloves, my knees are shot. I really should tackle this job more than once in a while. It might not be so hard... I have to admit, it does feel good to know that some parts of the house are really clean. So much, however, left to do.

4 comments:

Carol P. said...

FLYLady! Once a month in each room you do detailed cleaning. They send out missions that are aimed at the basics, or you develop your own over time. And if you miss a month, you'll be back again next month.

Remember, "Housework done incorrectly still blesses your family."

and

"You're not behind, you're just getting started. So jump in where you are!"

DF said...

Until you got down and really looked, they were not dirty. Now that you have looked, they are no longer dirty because you have cleaned them.

Either way, they are not dirty, good work.

meh said...

You guys are hilarious. I toyed with FLYlady, but decided I couldn't tolerate anyone telling me how woefully inadequate I am at cleaning when I failed to do the tasks assigned. I like DF's idea - if you don't look, it's not really dirty! Alas, it was really dirty, but now it's clean. For a little while. Hmmm.

Carol P. said...

I have to agree with DF as well -- things you don't see as dirty aren't dirty.

I delete lots and lots of flylady messages mostly unread and don't feel guilty about it (think 27 fling boogie: 27 mail messages count!). I ignore most of the testimonials as well. I never, never, never wear shoes in my house, and I do my laundry on predictable days rather than a load a day.

OTOH, I see the reminder "What are you having for dinner?" and think about it at 9am and we have dinner. I clean the credit card receipts out of my purse when she sends her reminder. And I flip my mattress once a month when we're in the bedroom zone and vacuum under the LR and FR couches and lift knickknacks for dusting when we're in that zone. Otherwise, I ignore these things, and I never worry if I miss something because I know I'll be back next month.