So off to Home Depot with my list and a smile. Who knew there were so many choices in putty knives and what the heck is a taping knife? And I know from my brother and the internet that I need lightweight joint compound, but I couldn't find that. So I finally gave up on "doing it myself," batted the baby blues at the poor, unsuspecting HD employee and sweet talked my way into yet another opinion and lesson on fixing a hole in the wall. Most of what he said mimicked my bro's advice. We talked the finer points of sanding sponges, then he totally cracked me up when he told me to go get pink spackle. Yes, we represent DAP so I know that they make such stuff that's pink then turns white when dry. But see I'm on a pink spree these last 6 months. Pink shoes, pink purses, my new supercomfy pink comforter on my girly girl bed, and I'm always wearing at least 1 pink thing. So the pink spackle? An omen.

So I prepped the wall (forgot to take a photo before Au started), and Au showed up for the spackle part. This is the first coat. K showed up with Sh - his turn for soccer - we're still working on the scheduling thing and trading kids thing - and he put his 2 cents in. Yes, he's "bob vila" yes he'd be great at this. But you know what? I have to try things myself and learn them myself. So I let him coach Au and then let it go. Au did the first coat and I cleaned up for him. Tonight the kids are both at K's, so I did a second coat. I admit, it's harder than it looks to get that spackle smooth. I will need some practice! But I am not inept, and I will make it come out right.
Like I said, just some of the simple challenges I now face. One of my single, female coworkers and I went out to lunch last week. And I shared with her some of the things I have never had to deal with having gone from college to marriage. Now that I'm going it alone, I have to think about things like getting the dishwasher fixed and spackling walls and making decisions on cable vs. satellite tv (I don't even watch TV, so K handled that stuff - Now I'm just trying to sort out bills!). She said, "Welcome to your 20's." You know? She might be right. But I have confidence it will all be ok. Maybe even fun!
1 comment:
Take your time and it will come out fine. Think multiple thin coats rather than one thick coat.
Post a Comment