Thursday, April 17, 2008

NO BIG FIGHT

Craziest thing ever in my litigation life. We were going to sue a certain department in the state of MD on behalf of the disabled poorest of the poor. We sent the state a "heads up" draft of all the pleadings out of courtesy. They called us and said, "Don't file! You WIN! You're right! We're Wrong!"

Huh?? Now I can't be specific b/c we're still hashing it out, and I'm not sure I'm allowed to elaborate.

The great thing? The disabled poorest of the poor now have the funds they are entitled to so that they at least have some sort of cash income even if it's a ridiculously small amount of money.

The sad thing? We devoted hundreds of hours to this and didn't get to smack anyone around in Court! It would've been really fun. And would've maybe kept them from doing such a ridiculously lawless thing in the future. SO be it.

Another great thing? I met some awesome people from 3 other legal organizations who are devoted to helping those who can't help themselves. I learned about class actions. And perhaps we'll work together again. Goodness knows there's no shortage of people who need help.

1 comment:

Carol P. said...

Congratulations! Even if it seems like someone else told everyone about your new car before you got there... I'm sure it was because of your firm's hard work that the state didn't even put up mild opposition....