Last night was the "All Hands" meeting for the upcoming High School Band Trip. This year Au goes, too, as a member of the Jazz Band. Last year they went to Disney - kind of crazy b/c I think they spent more time on a bus than on the ground in Disney. But Sh had a great time. This year it's much more civil - Va Beach! Unfortunately, I think it's going to be warmer here than there, but they are excited just the same. I imagine teenagers that they are, they'll go in the water despite it being FREEZING just to say they did. And there's Busch Gardens and a lunch boat cruise. Should be fun. And my kids have the added bonus of an Aunt and Uncle living in Va Beach. Doesn't look like they'll make the Friday competition (that whole job/making a living thing) but maybe they'll get together for dinner. The Band director has already approved the side trip if it works out.
I have to hand it to the Band Director - he has it all down, from putting masking tape with names on every instrument, folder, garment bag and suitcase to lining up who's sitting where, ground rules for where to be when, takes his own disciplinarian, has every kids' cell phone number. Very organized. AND when he reads the "do this and you go home rules" he follows up by saying, "Parents, I have to say these rules, but I know we won't need them. Your Kids are GOOD kids. Every kid in here is a great kid and I know we won't have any of these problems. We didn't last year and we won't this year. But I have to say them anyway." My mom always said, "Expect kids to be good and they will be." I think there's truth in that. Clearly the Band Director agrees. And they are good kids. C'mon. Band Geeks. (Yeah yeah I know, "One time, at band camp.....").
I imagine the kids will be bouncing off the walls by the time they get home tonight. Much packing and labeling to do. The debate on the way to school this morning was "what to wear to church." Yes, Catholic school. They will go to church on Sunday. They've been asked not to wear jeans. hence the debate. Oh and yes the Band director did call the local church and warn them that about 100+ kids will be filing in on Sunday morning. Too cute.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Tell them to wear their band uniforms to church. It will make them look unified, and terrorize the locals, LOL. Just kidding.
FUNNY!! But their "band uniforms" for Sh is a tuxedo dress outfit. No way would she do it. Au has black pant, black shirt black tie. That might work. Except whatever they wear to church they're supposed to wear on the lunch cruise, so that might get hot. But if they had classic "Marching band" uniforms, now that would be funny!
Try this, what ever Sh and Au decide to wear, see if you can get them to to convince all their peers to walk into church in precision marching order, doing precision genuflecting, the sharp turns as entering the pew, right on count. High stepping is optional. You want to wake up a sleepy/stodgie Catholic Church.
Only the nuns said you could not have fun in church. There would be some smiles on this Sunday
Post a Comment