Friday, November 02, 2007

You have GOT to be kidding me

OK I know sometimes I'm technologically challenged. I accept that. But I have to sit through two hours - TWO - 2 - dos - of phone training Monday night for our new phone system. Let's put aside the fact that we have about 5 briefs due in 2 weeks. Let's put aside the fact that I have the attention span of a gnat when it comes to technology, especially when coupled with the words "training class." Two hours to use a phone? do they really think I'll ever EVER figure out how to transfer a call without dropping the person? Or set up a conference call without the aid of my assistant, IT help desk and a first year? C'mon people. Can't teach this old dog new tricks. I sat through hours of training on the last phone. Hang it up. (little pun there) Move on. And do you really think attorneys facing deadlines are going to be actually paying attention in class? NOooooo, we'll be on our crackberrys and taking numerous "potty breaks" to check email.

Two hours. that's funny. Oh and if you don't go, I think they take away your phone and don't give you a new one. Now there's a novel idea. I might get some work done if no one can call me!!!

4 comments:

Carol P. said...

Hehehehe, I can totally relate. Sometimes I swear that my company would give a training on how to operate the restrooms and sinks in the bathroom if they remodelled...

Here's a hint: multiply the number of hours spent on this training x your billing rate. And ask if the new phone system is really saving that much money... Because really, phones and toasters shouldn't require 2 hour orientations....

meh said...

Well, I ended up blowing off the training class. I forgot about it until it started, when I was in the middle of drafting a paper that's due tomorrow. So guess what? The work won, the training class didn't. I'll probably get a nasty-gram tomorrow. Oh well.

And yes, ditto here on operating rest rooms...

to be fair, our new phones are also answering machines and hooked up to our computers for automated dialing and voice mail management. But 2 hours?? please...

Carol P. said...

Hey, what happened to the comment button on your newer posts? Did you change a comment setting somewhere???

Word Verification is a line from a '70s movie:

eedehommm

"E.T. [phone] home"

meh said...

Hmmm I don't know. I did change settings for a day or so b/c I wanted to "moderate" comments - check them before they were posted. But then I decided that wasn't necessary so I turned it off. I will check my settings again. thanks for noticing!