Tuesday, December 12, 2006
When Will I Ever Learn???
13 Days til Christmas - just 5 hours from hitting my yearly billable requirement - all cases are in "management" mode, nothing pressing due, just coasting to the end of the year. Lunch with a former lawclerk Wednesday, Courthouse party with my old Judge and all the old law clerks Thursday, Sh's Winter Band concert Thursday night, Another company dinner with K's group Friday night, a neighborhood party Saturday night, another neighborhood open house Sunday afternoon, lots of shopping and baking to do in between, just cruising along in the holiday spirit, work clearly taking a back seat. Then the call comes in - a client in trouble, the feds on the loose, and the boss man suddenly in the midst of a "TRO." Normally I love TRO's - they're fun, fast-paced, (great for billable hours) - kind of like a whole big trial that normally takes 2 years from complaint to trial compressed into two weeks. Yep, all nighters and craziness, but then it's over and we win. (usually we do win - it's our speciality). So me and my big mouth. I work part time. K has a killer week and I told him I'd cover kids and dinner and lessons etc. for the week. We clearly have a lot of social things going on in addition, and I really need to be done with work for the year. BUT noooooooo I stick my head in the boss' office and say, "Do you need help with this." Why not just say, "Shall I start slamming my head against the wall now or later??" So it's after 9pm, although I am home, I am researching frantically on the finer points of the issue and how to at least save part of the client's butt. I have dodged the plane trip to Florida at 7a.m. (I at least had the sense to say, "I can help BUT I can't miss the winter concert Thursday night!!! No hearing, no planes!!"). which means I get only the drudgery of the case and none of the glory. The real question - why do I have ANY of this case? There are associates still trying to make their hours out there!!! I am done!!!! I have cookies to bake! Thank goodness I started wrapping presents last night....Yeah yeah, it is my job and it's what they pay me to do and it's why they give me flexibility - because they know I'll jump in when they need me, but Jeezoflip, doesn't the Government know it's almost Christmas??!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
"but Jeezoflip, doesn't the Government know it's almost Christmas??!!" Um...No...they don't know it is almost Christmas. C'mon Counselor, you know better than most...the Government can neither confirm or deny that there is a holiday coming up...t'would be unconstitutional if it were any other way! Gotta protect the masses through freedom from religion! LOL!
Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment