Monday, December 11, 2006

Two Clueless/Talentless Blondes Go To Michael's

Sh has a school history project - "make a tombstone" of her famous, personally-chosen deadperson. Sh says, "Let's go to Michael's [a local craft store] and get supplies." Because the answer to every class project since they were 5 has been "Michael's." Off we go. We enter and are instantly bedazzled by the abundant, awesome, beautiful Christmas projects surrounding us - if only we had an ounce of "craft" talent between the two of us. But we have learned the hard way that we shouldn't even be allowed into Michael's. Yet here we are. So we wander around for 30 minutes looking at cool-stuff-that-we-don't-know-what-it-is. I convince her that maybe styrofoam surrounded by posterboard = tombstone (it has to be 3D and stand up on its own.) We found a really cool (very expensive) wooden block like a tombstone that Dad, had he not been in Dallas for the week, could've cut from his workshop in 30 seconds. So we put that back. We buy the styrofoam and posterboard and glitter pens. So school project "done," we head towards Christmas stuff!!!

We spot a gorgeous 3 foot tree bedecked in blue and white and silver ribbon with blue and white decorations, and we fall in love. And the tree is ON SALE. See, Sh and I have "Aunt W disease." We feel the need for much more than one lonely tree in the house - we want to be like Aunt W and have 7 - 10 - MORE trees in the house! But Father says, "One is enough." Did I mention Dad was in Dallas for the week? So Sh "convinces" me to get the little tree. Alas, the tree is on sale as "tree only." No decorations. But we have plenty of decorations at home. Blue being our favorite color, we're set. And I've been collecting Sailing Ornaments for 18 years in the hopes that one year we'd have a "sailing tree." Now we have our "nautical family room" and all it needs is a little Christmas tree. So, all we really need is that bow. Maybe they'll sell it? I find a helpful salesman who sadly informed me that the bow is gluegunned to the tree, and their star bowmaker is indeed swamped and has no time to make us one. He said you buy the ribbon (50 percent off dontchaknow) and make it yourself. He said the bow lady was too busy this time of year. HA he didn't know he was talking to the two most inept craftpersons in the store - neigh on the east coast. But what we lack in craft talent we make up in craftiness! So I had an idea. We picked out ribbon and I said "let's go over to where the ribbon/flower lady is making arrangements and look pathetic." Apparently, we are really good at pathetic! I complemented her work (unbelievably gorgeous stuff) asked if they had a "bow maker" I could buy (not kidding, I really said that) and asked if that's what she used to make such perfect bows. She said "oh no I just do them myself." So we pointed out the perfect bow - which she had made - and looked wishful and pathetic. More oohing and ahhing and "oh wouldn't our tree be just perfect with something like that." She caved, "oh I could make you one of those now if you want." Of course we had picked out the wrong width ribbon (told you we were clueless). We ran (I mean SPRINTED) over to the ribbon for the wider stuff and sprinted back in under 2 minutes- lest she change her mind. The bow lady made a gorgeous blue and silver bow for the top for a mere $23 dollars - 10 for the ribbon, the rest for her (it should've been 35 but she gave us a tag for a big sale). Took her about 5 minutes, maybe less, to make the most gorgeous bow.

And I have tried to post photos of our newly decorated tree in its new home, but - imagine that - the craft-challenged, computer-challenged person that I am can't get the photos to upload. Yes, Carol P, I have clicked on the little "photo button" in the blogger. Photos will have to wait another night.

BTW Daddy came home Saturday - "what's that in the family room," he asks? Wait til he sees the lighted skiing polarbear on the front lawn that we just had to have... (Sh says to tell him the neighbors put it there - somehow I think he knows us better than that....)

No comments: