Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Merry Melodies

Another evening of simple pleasures - listening to A and his friend C practice for the state ensemble. They no longer go to school together (rival schools now!) but have maintained their friendship. C called to ask A to accompany him on his trumpet for the competition. If you told me 5 or even 2 years ago (neigh, last year?!) that these two rowdy, somewhat immature boys (used to be) would one day voluntarily - and without parental supervision or encouragement - practice classical music, I would have laughed at you - loudly. And they are truly practicing - going over the runs, working on timing, all the things a band director might encourage. It's their first night with this music, and I have to say I'm impressed with their progress and their determination. A seems to have the knack for hanging back, playing softly, and following C, as an accompanist should. Yep, another proud and happy musical moment in the House.

No comments: