Well, it seems life is never boring and photos are on hold indefinitely. Sh's monitor died yesterday, so we gave her our monitor, because K and I each have a work laptop. That's all well and good, except only my "home" computer can upload photos. There are all kinds of limitations on my work laptop, one of them being I can't add any software whatsoever. It's a pain, to be sure. Now, my Oregon cousin might know how to work around this, but I cannot. Perhaps the kids' computers (which are identical to ours) could be taught to upload photos. In fact, I'm sure they could, b/c I know Sh uses her computer to upload from her digital camera. But how to make her computer recognize my camera? This is all just too much for me. I am stuck in last century to be sure. I had this crazy idea that I could use my laptop as a monitor for my home CPU, but tech support says I need all kinds of stuff that I can't remember nor pronouce.
SOOOO when the money stops running like the roaring rapids out the door, we'll invest in a flat screen for Sh (we gave the kids ancient monitors with their new computers 2 years ago, with the idea that when the old monitors died, they'd get upgraded. A got upgraded sometime last year). BUT with Christmas just days past, the basement home improvements started (Bob Vila, on vacation in 2006, has returned for 2007 and has taken advantage of this week off to start his latest - and hopefully almost last - project), and tuition due in 5 days, the flat screen will have to wait a month or so. And so will photos. Unless I manage to find time to figure out a "work around."
Sighhhhh
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Are you using the same storage media as SH's camera? The SD, MemoryStick or XD media will interchange if so. You can use her camera.
If not, simply connect your camera USB connection to another computer USB port (the flat rectangular connection) and the computer will automatically recognize the camera as another device, similar to a hard drive of floppy drive. No software added. No software addition violation of policy.
This from your quickly approaching over the hill status and the big five-ohhhhh cousin.
If there's a memory stick, I'd have no clue how to find it. our cameras are quite different - hers is one of those point and shoot small things and ours is an SLR with interchangeable lenses. I think you call it an SLR. Anyway, I will try the whole USB port thing right now!! thanks 5-000000
Wellll,so much for that idea. It recognized the camera at first, but couldn't find software to make it work?? now it won't even recognize it.
I give up for today - will try again tomorrow.....
You can always install whatever software you use to download from your camera onto S's machine. If you can find the disks, that is.
Or if you have a home network, you can download onto your laptop then pull them over the network. Depending on how fast your home network is, that might or might not be a good option for you.
Then you just have to sign in to blogger on S's machine and upload your pictures.
99% of the time XP has the drivers available.
What brand of camera do you have?
Things get faster when you are going downhill!
TO DF: it's a canon rebel. and after shutting down the computer and bringing it back up, still no camera. can't even go to "my computer" and find it.
TO CAROL P: no network at home. Would have to install on sh's - if i could find the disks, which I cannot (I tried to take them into work b/c we use my camera all the time for litigation photos but couldn't do that either b/c I couldn't find the disks). sheesh, this is a pain. Wish one or both of you were HERE!
We're off to the lake anyway where there's no computers and no cell phones. Maybe I'll FINALLY get a break from work!!!
And when we get back, K says there might be a new flatscreen in the house....
Happy New Year to ALL!!!
Have a good trip!
And get a home network if you've got more than one computer! You can go wireless or wired, but either way, it's pretty handy to be able to shovel stuff around....
Have fun at the Lake.
After checking, seems Windows XP does not have your camera driver built in. If you will go to the Canon website choosing North America, then to Downloads, the proper driver can be found there. Download it to Sh's computer to prevent problems with work, or get approval from the IT guy at work for you to load it on your work Laptop.
Even better, take your camera to work and get the IT guy to install the correct driver.
Once the driver is installed, the camera will act just like a hard drive.
Another option is to go to Best Buy and purchase a CompactFlash Reader for $20. This plugs into any USB port and pictures can be transfered from there. If you go this route, the pictures are usually in a folder called DCIM (Digital Camera IMages).
I use different media called SD and have a reader for me and for A.
Post a Comment