Saturday, December 16, 2006

It's a sickness...

Call me stupid, but I said yes to the bossman, and I'm going south to fight the government. See, believe it or not, we don't actually go to Court that often. Most of our fighting is done with paper, and the parties settle. Only 5 percent of ALL law suits ever go to trial. So unless you're a criminal lawyer (and I'm not), you don't get "on your feet" much these days. And when there is court stuff, the Partners always do it - because that's the fun stuff, and they have the experience (somehow, because of course when they were associates the partners took all the glory, too). Well, I happen to work for a great guy who likes to share the "fun stuff." We thought this case would be a one-day deal on Friday, and I absolutely could NOT go last week b/c of Sh's wind ensemble performance Thursday night - which was utterly fantabulous and I was SOOOO PROUD (so was brother, but he'd never admit it out loud). While the rest of the team was at work (until 4 a.m.) I was with my family. Which is why I work part time, and the team respects that. But Bossman called Friday at noon during break, "This thing is going to go at least until Monday. This is a trial, and I have a piece for you if you want to come down. We're having FUN and I'm offering you a share...." This is like asking a kid if she'd like a piece of candy or a free PS3, asking my brother if he'd like another round of Guitar Hero - when you are a litigator, this is what you live for.

So Panic sets in - I have not finished my Christmas shopping, I have not begun to bake all those cookies I swore I was going to bake, I have not sent Christmas cards, not to mention the house is a disaster and all the other things in life that need attention. Like Kids. So I call K at work and say, "Here's the opportunity, but if I take it, I think I'll have a nervous breakdown." He's a very supportive guy who knows about careers and stuff, even if he can't fathom why in the world I want to be a lawyer. So he says, "Write me a shopping list, get the grandparents to pick up from school and cover the orthodontist, I can get them to school and finish the Christmas stuff [and he always does most of the cleaning at home anyway]. This is your chance - YOU GO." Wow. I call back Bossman, who thinks we can carve out Saturday (he has not slept more than 15 minutes since Tuesday, so he's counting on a little sleep Friday night and Saturday - plus he has house guests back here while he's out of town - oops). So I can take the kids shopping today, get A to the movies today like I promised, hit the neighborhood party that I really really don't want to miss, then swing by the office for some stuff, and get on a plane. Not sure when I'll be back - tuesday or wednesday. I'm excited. And nervous. And stupid, or maybe just "afflicted." Oh, and the kids are so cool "Go mom, go." They are supportive, too. As long as they're not being left out, left alone, or otherwise taking a "hit" for my excursion, I feel a little less guilty. And I SWEAR when I get back, Sh and I will bake those cookies!!!!!

Let's hope I'm 1/2 as good as Bossman thinks I will be.. heck I'll settle for not making a total fool of myself...gotta run, I have some shopping to do!!!

No comments: