Sunday, May 06, 2007

Another Weekend Blows by

And here we are again, suddenly finding ourselves facing Sunday night, with things still to do, work piling over our heads, and great memories added to the storage bin of life.

Friday night started happily enough - taking SH to soccer, with a book in the car and the top down to enjoy the balmy night, I decided not to try to drive home during practice but to hang out for 1 1/2 hours and chill a moment. HAHAHA. Emergency from a partner that almost makes me lose my lunch (oh wait, I was too busy to eat today, that's right), requires K to zoom in and save the soccer day while I race home to do some last minute research. So much for our evening out together shopping for basement furnishings while the kids go to their party. In the end it all worked out, work emergency solved with enough time to catch some appetizers and adult conversation before swinging by the kids' party to pick them up.

Saturday started early with a trip to the mammogrammy for me (yes, finally, and I am just fine, thank you very much and wasn't that just a fun way to start my Saturday?!), a baseball game for A and soccer practice for SH. A's team added yet another W in the W/L column and I missed his triple while at soccer with sh. Boo hoo. After soccer, where I had a blonde moment and killed the battery in my car, we ran by the flute doctor and picked up a refurbished flute. Yes, the one we bought just 3 months ago was yet again at the flute doctor, through no fault of the girl, or so it seems. Fixed again for free, but what cost my time and blood pressure in getting this thing fixed right before recitals??!!

Saturday night we all attended our first Kentucky Derby party. Seems our new friends - yes, more friends made through our kids but where else do you meet people anyway?? - are from Kentucky and all into this Derby thing. Somehow no one wore a hat, but they let us in anyway. Had my first mint julep - who knew bourbon could be tasty, although one was more than enough and took me 2 1/2 hours to drink - lost my bet on Scat Daddy. With a name like Scat Daddy and 6-1 odds, how could he come in 18th??!!! Oh the shame of it all. K came close with his bet on Imawildandcrazyguy (4th). The party was fun, the food plentiful, and we met lots of new people. Thanks kids for going to such a great school with great new friends for me!

of course, Sh, social butterfly that she is, had yet another party on Saturday night that she just had to attend, despite the fact that her most recent "Mr. Potato-head" (i.e. "crush") was at the first party. Daddy volunteered to drive her to party #2. Mama was tired of driving Miss Princess. And then he picked her up later while mama was in bed. Saturday was exhausting.

Then came Sunday - off to teach those crazy 5 & 6 year olds Sunday school. Why are the lessons getting more boring as the year goes on? Don't these educators who supply these books know that by now the kids are getting smart and are on to the "weekly plan?" Egad, it was hopeless. The lesson's theme was good (it always is) "God's message is for everyone" and the story in Acts about Peter telling Cornelius, the Roman soldier, about Jesus. But goodness gracious, the lessons and activities were ho-hum. Sh and I aren't the "lead" teacher so we don't generally try to run the show. But we should have this week. No surprise that we had a number of kids climbing under tables, removing shoes, and being ornery. The weekly trip after Church to the Fractured Prune (a donut shop) had even me reaching for a donut, something I generally never eat.

Home for a quick run through some work projects while sh readied for Soccer. Load up the car and off we go. Someone turned off the heat here last night, and the field was cold and windy. The girls won - again - both A & S's teams are undefeated thus far this season! - and we headed home. Sh wasn't pleased with her play - I thought she was great. Had a beatiful cross that her teammates failed to put in, but hey, she did her job! Made it home in what we thought was plenty of time to get ready for the 6pm flute recital. I get out of the shower at 4:50 and the phone rings - it's the flute teacher. "WHERE IS SHANNON?!" Um, right here, taking a shower and getting ready to leave at 5:15 for the 6pm recital. "NO THE RECITAL STARTED AT 4 and SHE NEEDS TO BE HERE NOW." OH ok, forget drying the hair or putting on makeup QUICK GET DAD AND GET IN THE CAR RIGHT NOW. of course, the recital is 30 minutes away, 20 if you get green lights, which K never does. We show up at the end, frustrated and missing a page of music. ... But all is not lost, the flute teacher is married to a saxophone teacher who is having his recital at 6pm. So he adds a flutist to his program and off we go. Sh didn't get to play the "canon" with the other flutists but you can't win them all. The flute teacher has Sh's book with all the pages, so that's covered. Sh plays beautifully - Mozart's sonata first movement I think - and livens up the sax recital. Wore her pretty valentine's day dress and looked as beautiful as she played. And mom is thrilled to hear the saxophonists - soprano, alto, tenor. One kid played a duet by himself - had recorded the 2nd part during his last lesson then played along to the CD of himself. Amazing. And coolest alto sax I've ever seen. Forget taking up piano again, I'm digging out the sax. I think I may look into buying a soprano sax - I've always wanted to play the soprano, and it's nice and small. Awesome night of music.

Then a quick dinner with the three of us - A was off with a friend, watching movies and having dinner. He loves Sh b/c she said she didn't want him to go to her recital, and he'd rather be anywhere besides a flute recital. Now back to work and trying to figure out how to get it all done this week. Didn't get much work work done over the weekend. I know I'm supposed to be part time, but not this week! K and A did get the yards done and cleaned out the basement. our basement project is nearly complete - lacks furniture and a big TV - but I think the painting is done!! and K the pack rat was actually asking me the "chuck it all" girl what he could throw away!! YES Victory!!!

Ah Monday, it's one of those crazy weekends where you're glad for the long day in the office to chill out!!

No comments: