So a couple days before the SuperBowl I have this bright idea to have some people over to watch the game. I text the kids (they were with K but would be with me Sunday night) to see if they want to have a "party." Quick "sures" came back. I told them I wanted parents and kids (not just their friends) and to start inviting.
Now I had in mind the "usual suspects." the 4 kids in the neighborhood/school and their parents. Simple. about 6-8 kids, maybe 10, and about 8 parents. Reasonable, right?
Fastforward 24 hours to Saturday morning. I call Sh to see where we stand on the invites. And she starts rattling off people - lots of people - parents I HAVE NEVER MET. I'm thinking she's invited every kid from their class, plus every kid they ever knew from elementary school and parents I haven't seen in years. Egad. So after laughing hysterically at my very innocent daughter who says, "What mom, we know a lot of people, ok?" I manage to blurt out, "STOP Stop inviting people right now!! And find out who's really coming!!"
Now the kids can't figure out my problem. The basement is 20x20 or something like that and big enough to hold 20 kids easily. There's a new 46" flat screen TV down there with surround sound that they're dying to use. And they're hoping for new couches to magically appear overnight. Um they forgot the layout of the upstairs home theater, you know, where the adults will be, holds about 8 comfortably.
SO I run out to the store and buy ridiculous amounts of food (Yes JO I made lots of piggies in blankets, too!) and run to IKEA and buy couches (long story on that, but we had already tried and failed for weeks on finding couches to fit in the basement. I finally got annoyed and just caved to IKEA). I hauled the boxes with the couches home myself, got them to the basement myself, put them together myself. Kind of like the Little Red Hen. exciting Saturday night for ME!
Sunday morning dawned and it appeared, thankfully, that most of the parents weren't coming. We were expecting about 20 kids, but only 6 parents. Whew. Then the doorbell started ringing. And parents who told me 4 hours previously that they couldn't come, well, they stayed. I now know that I can, in fact, fit 14 adults in the family room to watch the big screen TV. Yep, everyone could see it. And hear it. And reach the food, which was a bit too much. We're still eating tailgate rolls and wings.
the game turned out to be a best on record. And I managed to bet on the GIANTS! Not that I wanted to, but did so by default, so i got to torment my friend throughout the game, which was fun, too. And I managed to pull off my first "party" solo. (The kids couldn't help set up b/c of being at dad's and having soccer and rugby, so they did ALL the cleanup as part of our deal).
Next time I want to get the kids involved in having some friends over, I'll be sure to communicate exactly how many people I have in mind!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You know, I'm having a lot of fun watching your blog and watching as you take all of these steps towards building your new, single life. I know it sounds corny, but I'm incredibly proud of you. As usual, you continue to be the kind of person I'd like to be when I grow up.
Way to go MEH! Nothing beats forcing a decision like a time crunch! Glad everyting came off great.
Hey Paranoid - are you trying to tell me that I'm a - gulp - grownup?!! OH noooo. I thought I was just growing older, not up. Seriously, thanks. You know I think you rock as I've told you many times. You're doing great with M and handling the other challenges way better than I would. Rock on girl.
Post a Comment