Monday, February 19, 2007

That Time Of Year Again

If we're not water skiing or sailing, we must be - yes - remodeling. Like my Oregon cousin likes to garden, we "like" to remodel. K is on one of the last rooms in the house - thank goodness - after 8 years of redo-ing. Yep, it's the dreaded basement. The place I have been tossing stuff for a good 2 years. So now we're clearing out and making it into the ultimate Teen Hang Out. That big thing in the center covered up is the new pool table. K started by spraying the ceiling (drop ceiling - decided there's nothing much we can do with it without a major overhaul). We're also keeping the old carpet. "Just some paint" and a few new additions (like furniture and a flat screen TV, someday). If you've heard tales of "Just some paint" before, you know that in this house, when you get down to painting, it usually involves some reconstruction first. E.g. painting Sh's bedroom (the very first task 8 + years ago) took a month, because the previous owner had run the telephone wire outside the walls and chalked it to the baseboards. That and painting over everything in sight - no such thing as prep. So he had a lot of sanding and rebuilding before he could paint. Same goes here in the basement.

Here's the "befores."





Yep, the pool table. The taped-up thingys up high are actually windows.




That's an old 60's bar over to the right - not sure how we're going to update. with lots of mirrors behind. K naturally has ideas - I think he's thinking "tiki bar" which works for me. He's the designer, and the doer. I'm the watcher.



This used to be walls of bookshelves. Most were removed to make room for the long cue sticks. Top and bottom will still hold some books. But everything will be white. Gone is the black. why yes, the former owner did the entire house in black and white - with some red here and there. Too bad I don't love Mickey Mouse like my sister does, or we could've gone with that theme. ..


And here's some "during" photos.



What's left of the bookcases...


Gone will be the black accents, like the formerly black door hiding the electric box. Yippeeee
I have some hilarious photos of K - did you know that when you spray-paint you must wear goggles and a face mask, and that when you take them off you resemble some kind of abominable snow monster?? But I won't post them - I'm sure he doesn't think they're all that funny. He's working too hard to mock, but I did take a few photos for his "This Old House" photo album he has of all his projects.
We'll keep you posted on the progress. He spent today rebuilding walls instead of painting. So who knows when our "annual" Tapas party will be this year - we initially thought February, but I'm thinking more like April!!!! One thing for sure, he'll finish in time for boating season....

1 comment:

Carol P. said...

Looks good! Can you come out here and do some painting?

First you'll have suggest colors though, because I have no eye for such things. Except I know that I don't like white, and worse, white that hasn't been painted in 10 years while small children live here. Why yes, we're overdue. So come quick, and bring the sprayer! Pleeeeeeeze?