Tuesday, February 13, 2007

SO How Hard is this "weatherman" job anyway?

Apparently, so hard that no one is even bothering around here. See, first we had the big hype, "Big storm coming - 2 days of snow - huge accumulation - too big to estimate." That was late last week and over the weekend. But as Tuesday approached, oooh, we got scared and refused to predict anything. "Well, we could get a lot or a little - depends on a lot of things." No joke, the weather-people were all saying that. Well, du-h, I thought perhaps the weather depended on various conditions. Apparently, that's news. And the "conditions" remain a big secret.

One station went out on a limb and said, "If it all comes in the form of snow, we could have 6-22 inches." Quite a range there. Another station predicted rain. My sister-in-law's "spinning" classmate, who calls herself a meteorologist, said (on Monday), "The kids won't have school Tuesday - we'll wake up to an inch or two - but it will turn to rain and they'll be in in school Wednesday." Well, it's Tuesday and my kids are in school b/c we woke up to ... nothing. Well, nothing except the dusting that we got Monday night, 9 hours before anything was "predicted" to start - and despite the fact that snow was falling on my car at 5p.m., the radio forecasters were telling me that current conditions were "cloudy." They really need to get a window in that place.

But schools are closing early today because, despite the prediction that the snow would start this evening (um, I thought they said it would start Monday at midnight, which changed to Tuesday 3 a.m., which became Tuesday night), the snow started right as the kids got on the bus this morning.

Opting out of anything specific, all channels have joined on the "wintry mix" bandwagon and said, "It all depends on the wind."

Can I please have that job? I think the next time the Judge asks if I have any case law on a particular topic, I'll respond, "Well that all depends on what you consider 'law.'" If I get fired, I can always be a weather-person.

1 comment:

Carol P. said...

Snort! Yes indeed, weather prediction is a fun thing. And yet, so many amateurs are obsessed by it (I read the local tv weather-geek's blog, and the comments are full of folks even more obsessed and delighted by weather prediction than the guy that S and I refer to as "the weather nerd." In a positive way of course, as I plan my evening around hearing his forecast.

Still 50s and light raining here (showers -n- sunbreaks) in beautiful Oregon. Models are split as to whether we'll have 60s over the weekend or finally get a good juicy storm (we're overdue for our weather to turn back to regular wet and cold -- we had a dry January).

Either way, the bulbs are coming up, I see the purple plum trees will bloom in a week or two (and sooner if I bring a branch or two in the house and stick 'em in water), and the grass is starting to grow again.

So how's the weather back there again?