Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Revelations on the Soccer Field

After 2 hours of indoor soccer - one game with my team and one game subbing on a co-ed team and no subs for either game, I have learned a few things. 1) 20-year-old instincts in a 40-year-old body will lead to great pain; 2) If you see a tree trunk out of the corner of your eye in the middle of the soccer field as you are going for the ball, it's probably not a tree, but a great big guy; 3) if you run into a great big guy at full speed, it will hurt; 4) when playing with young men, they don't really need you so just stand there and be the "girl" that's required so that they can play; 5) playing soccer until 1 a.m. is probably a bad idea; and 6) playing 2 hours of soccer when you haven't run seriously in 3 months is stupid.

SO as I sit here icing my knees, contemplating shower vs. bath, I vow to get serious about my training again. I think I'll sign up for another race (no, not a marathon) so that I'll have a goal. Otherwise I will never get in shape and my team will dump me! Fortunately, our "girl" game was first, so I wasn't too exhausted for that. We played a new team who didn't really have it together, which allowed me to find my left foot and take home a hat-trick. Apparently I used all my good shots in the first game, but then, see revelation #4 above.

I see "working from home" in my future tomorrow.

Thank goodness the Barrister's Dinner Friday is black tie = long gown. My knees are way too scary for a short skirt...

4 comments:

JO said...

LOL. How funny. "so just stand there and be the "girl" that's required so that they can play"...we had the same issue in Co-Ed softball...but I wouldn't let 'em get away with it! I told a couple of our "crazy guys" that hey..they "had to have me to play"...so durnit...I was actually going to play!!!

meh said...

Yeah, "being the girl" is one of the reasons I wouldn't play co-ed regularly (the others being they're way too young, way too fast, and I hurt when I collide with them). But last night was funny b/c they really expected ZERO out of me, so the occasional ball steal, long shot, or nice pass made me look like a hero. They also knew I had very little to give after already playing one game. The ref was cracking up and giving me grief all night until he realized this was my second (sub-less) game. When we used to play co-ed volleyball, I got really annoyed with certain ball-hogging men. It's tough being a girl-jock, NO?

DF said...

Glad to hear you held up higher than expected performance. As my nearly 50YO bod tells me, the mind is willing but the body weak. Glad you made it out alive!

meh said...

If what I'm feeling today is "alive" (it's always worse the 2nd day after) then I'd rather be dead!! The Boss Man mocking my shuffling gait is not helping matters...