They Rock, they Rule, they are so very cool. Yep, my kids. Those teenagers. Those studious students. Whoo-hooo. Yes, exam grades are IN (well, most of them) and my kids ROCK.
Sh scored 4 A's, an unknown grade in algebra, and - GET THIS - the BIG FINISH - A "B" in the dreaded Biology!! Yep, a B. Awesome. Spectacular. Unprecedented. I'm so proud of her!!!! I tried to muster the proper excitement over the 97 (99?) in history and the 90-something in Spanish - she has a 97 average in history, so I was expecting a great grade. I think she has a 97 average in spanish, too (it's spanish 3 - she's one of 3 freshmen in there, her brother being the 2nd). She has a real apptitude for the language thing, which I tell her is awesome and I am truly thrilled that she performs so well in Spanish! We faked happiness over the A in scripture (they claim all you have to write is "Jesus loves me" and you get an A - a little disappointing because Scripture is supposed to be their "scholar's class" where they have to think). I exhibited genuine joy over the A in English - the dreaded Brother Teacher who is extremely difficult (fair, excellent teacher, just hard, which I love) could not stump her! She apparently even mastered Grammar, which they have never learned prior to private school. But when she ever said a B in Biology, I thought I would pass out. I was truly prepared for a D or an F. Would have been happy with a C. But a B?! The best part was the look on her face when she told me - she's so thrilled with herself - and she got a little "science-esteem" back into her. Wowzer. The only outstanding grade is alegbra. She should've scored at least a B - thinks she did well. I'll be shocked if an A turns up there, too.
Now AH had a different approach to the grades thing. Very low key delivery of the grades. Claims he couldn't get his Spanish grade (is not expecting much there and thinks he may have tanked it. Something about not studying enough - could've been b/c he thought he had algebra the day he had spanish and only figured it out around 8pm the night before?!). But he aced history 99.2. (OK he has an A average in there, but a 99.2?? wow). Aced scripture (see above). rocked hard on English with a 94 - truly excited about that b/c he learned grammar the day before the exam courtesy of his grandmother who used to be an English teacher. She worked him so hard, he promptly fell asleep and took a 1 hour nap - go Grandmother!! And Biology?? Rock on - still not sure if it's a 79 or an 84 - they got 5 points extra credit and he claims his grade was w/o the extra credit. But you know what?? I am thrilled with the 79!!! He worked hard. And we're still not sure on algebra, but he should at least turn up with a B. He did have a sly grin that he was trying to hide when he delivered the History and English numbers - he tries to be cool, but he doesn't need to be with me! I'm so excited for him!
See, I'm extra thrilled b/c they really did this on their own. They are used to me "helping." I'm glad I'm here to help - it's one of the reasons I work part-time. I explain things they don't quite get, encourage them, and help with how to study and cramming for vocab. But mom's evil job required 40 billable hours in 3 days. I slept an average of 2 hours a night last week during exams. And dad was in Dallas all week. The only night I was remotely around was 1.5 hours of biology (and gee, we all know how much help I was that night - NOT). They helped each other study - quizzed each other on spanish and english vocab, worked together on the biology study guide, worked algebra problems. They put themselves to bed at reasonable hours so that they were rested. Yes, the grandparents are next door, made sure the kids ate dinner and somewhat supervised. But I really feel like the kids have "figured it out." They knew they had a lot coming, and apparently the books strewn about the rooms over Christmas break did get some kind of work-out!
Ahhh, the happy feeling of great kids who are achieving their potential. Yep, a good night in this household!
OK it's safe to put the barf bag away - I'm done bragging, for now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Great Job Sh and AH! Way to dig deep and make your parents proud. They may even go out and do something embarrassing to you, like give you a hug in public. Congrats!
Woohoooo! Way to go SH and AH! Way to do yourself proud! (And mom and dad too!)
I have to hope they never see this post or they might not forgive me for the pathetic bragging. I was probably sweating this whole thing way more than they did (that work-guilt thing having a little to do with it, to be sure)
thanks for putting up with my obnoxious blog. But hey, I guess that's maybe part of what blogs are for- a space to get these thoughts out so that you don't subject your co-workers to such drivel?!
(sorry if this shows up twice, blogger did something weird)
Anyway, Woo Hoo! Your kids do, indeed, rock. You have every right to be proud and to brag your head off.
Post a Comment