Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Lost in Space

Well, not really space. Just out in the whacked-out world of conferences. And sorry JO, but I am in Miami while you are having higher-than-average snows. http://merrylandofoz.blogspot.com/2008/03/strike-that.html

One of the things I learned about yesterday was....BLOGGING. Yep, it's an electronic retailer conference so they had the best in the industry talking about blogging. Of course, they were talking about blogging for business, but I picked up a few tricks I might try to implement. One of them is the new video camera that automatically links up to your computer and makes blogging videos a snap. The President of YouTube gave a keynote address at lunch (totally fascinating!!!!!!) and told us about this nifty new camera. Apparently Google folks will be here this afternoon offering them at a discount - and they're cheap to start with (about $200). Yeah, so it's a fun conference despite the lack of sleep that generally accompanies these things: client meetings, dinners and social events all night.

According to YouTube/Google stats, the average teen spends about 16 hours a week on the internet and 14 hours a week watching TV. Last year the numbers were even. I think my kids spend way more time on the internet than watching TV. At least when they are with me.

Well, off to the races. Been trying to get some "real" work done before the conference sessions start up again. Skipped out on the breakfast meetings. I can only eat so much!!! (and if you're ever in south beach, you must go to China Grove - unbelieveable food and wine. of course it helps if the client is a regular and makes all the choices for you and you have a huge bunch of people so you get to order a ton of food and sample it all!)

PS to my cousins: the people here actually think I am somewhat electronically savvy for having a blog and a facebook and being up on some of the latest technology. DON'T TELL ON ME!! They even made me a member of the Internet and Electronic Media Council. I hope they don't ask me any questions that I have to answer out loud.....

2 comments:

JO said...

Way to go my tech savvy cuz! (LOL!). Ya know, should someone ask you a question surrounding a tech issue, you can always give the following intelligent reply (and my West Coast Sis can probably confirm)

"Hmm...interesting. I think we would probably have to get with the systems people though to determine what, if any, major impact something like this might have on the system".

Voila. Shifted to the system guys laps.

Oh..and if it is a systems guy...then you say "Get me some hard and fast info on what impact would this have on the system on a go forward basis". System guys hate to write impact issues....so you will never see it..therefore you will never decide.

Ah...the power of words huh Ms. Barrister!

meh said...

I almost had to use this today! New client is launching an internet business...started getting technical...had it in my back pocket just in case. thanks Jo!