Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Amazing Surprise

I returned from 3.5 days in San Diego, pulled into the driveway, and what do I see but flowers - everywhere. Great colors, in all the beds I have wanted to plant in but haven't had the time or the energy or the ability. Wow.

To say the least, I've been "stressing" lately, as my teenagers will tell you. Stressing about them, about getting them ready for their summer travels, about what to do with the dog while we're gone, about the job and trying to get all the work done, about my travels with my job and how that fits in to all the family stuff, and, well, about the fact that I haven't planted a single flower.

Strangely, I love gardening. I'm not particularly good at it. But there's something about going outside and planting something and watching it grow. I don't go for hard stuff - that will surely die. I stick to the simple: impatiens, vinca, carpet roses. Maybe a petunia here and there (they require pinching, so I don't usually do them. Same with marigolds).

But this year, I haven't had time. I always plant mother's day weekend, but Sh had 2 soccer games, and we got the whole extended family together and went to Great Grandmother's for strawberry shortcake, so there went the weekend. The next day I had my surgery and was out of commission for a long time. I'm not sure I could even plant now. I can't lift a mulch bag.

But thanks to my incredible children and their thoughtful father, I don't have to. As I arrived, K was putting the last of the mulch on the flowers. The girls (Sh and her friend N, the one we took to Va Beach) did the front, and the Boys, (A and his friend C) did the back. Fabulous!!
And yes, if I find time, I'll take some photos and post!


And every day (night) when I pull into the drive I am reminded of my incredible family and their thoughtfulness. And I am a little less stressed...

1 comment:

JO said...

You are blessed my dear cousin. You are truly blessed.