Thursday, November 30, 2006

Going Back in Time - and other soccer ramblings

Hard to believe it's only been 2 weeks since the last soccer game - seems like forever. I never did get around to posting some high school shots - me thinking I could actually show my west coast cousins a thing or two and actually take a photo of child and ball. HA. Well, here comes the ball, and I don't remember if she actually headed it or the other girl did. Let's remember that she did! It was the last game of the season, home, and on her birthday! Alas, they suffered their only loss of the season that day - or did they tie 0-0?? How quickly I forget! I just remember that she wanted desperately to score in the game, and didn't. Her local grandparents watched and grandmother usually = goal. But not so this day.


That's her - hair flying, approaching the ball - or is the ball approaching her? Or did she just head it? Not sure... I guess that's why timely posts are important...



That' s a good left foot boot - nearly scored (greatest shot of the game - I do remember that. )

The boys were already done for the season, so here's brubby "cheering" from the sidelines.


On corner kicks, she plays the position of "pest" - get in the goalie's way and be a human screen so that your teammates can score. Sometimes it works - didn't work this day.

And that's the historic end of her first high school season - her team rocked and only lost 1 game. She met some fabulous girls in her new school, and the soccer team is one of the reasons she loves her new school so much! The coach was awesome, and the conditioning impressive. It really paid off for her club team, too, where she stepped up from the crowd and became a player the coach came to depend on for her fabulous crosses and great scoring shots.

Now she laments this, her 6 week "off season." In early January we'll start back with indoor soccer, then preseason club soccer, the spring Club soccer, then summer training, then back to fall soccer for high school and club soccer. Yes, life is defined in terms of what time of soccer year it is.

Momma will give up her indoor season once S's indoor begins in January - too much of a challenge for both of us to play during the week, plus flute lessons (her), guitar lessons (her), piano lessons (him), and - oh yeah - I have a job...

On the momma soccer front, I'm happy to report that we finally lost well the other night. Usually our team is 1s or 2nd in the league. I play with a bunch of 40+ women (some 50+) who have been playing soccer together for 20+ years. They are fun and good and somehow made the mistake of asking me to sub for them one night last May. I just keep going back!! They asked me to join the team over the summer, then I joined their outdoor Sunday night fall league. They also play saturdays and thursdays, but I can't swing all that. Yes, they are true soccer hounds. Anyway, we've been bumped up to Division A indoor and have been getting whomped - no one knows why, because we usually hold our own. But after the first 10 minutes of pummeling in our last indoor game from an unbeaten (I mean unbeaten ever) team, we finally kicked it into gear and started clicking. As the final seconds wore down, we were pressing on for our tieing goal (at half time it was 7-1). The clock beat us and we lost 7-6. But I didn't injure myself - a nearly weekly event because I keep forgetting I'm 40 not 20 - and we almost won!! We were actually drawing spectators because the place was talking about us possibly upsetting the Master Team! Too funny. It's fun to get out and do something for "me." And funny when the kids come to cheer me on - S thinks it's particularly funny when large women on opposing teams get mad at me and threaten me with bodily harm (yes that happened one week, but the player later apologized). In S's league, the kids are simply not allowed to bad mouth anyone or anything - too bad the "adults" don't behave as well as the kids!!!


Oh, and no, I didn't get any photos of A this year - bad mommy. All the sudden his season was over, and I realized I never brought the camera!!

2 comments:

Carol P. said...

Heh! I figure that I need to provide a few good excuses for my kids for therapy. Ya know, like "You never take any soccer pictures of me!"

Actually, my camera fits in my purse, so it lives with me. But, as you see, the darn things are ball-averse. Or maybe its an offspring-soccer ball/ matter anti-matter thing, combinded with a heisencamera uncertainty thing.

meh said...

Yeah, I've thought about getting a 2nd camera (well, actually a 4th b/c each kid has a digital) b/c our camera is a big ol' SLR with lenses. But i like the big one to take zoom shots on the field - when I remember it, I get awesome shots! unfortunately, s was on the other side of the field when the light was right for photos (and we can't go over there - rules dontchaknow). I got awesome shots of her teammate doing all kinds of cool things with the ball. So my camera must just suffer the offspring-soccerball/averse thing.

and fortunately boys seem to think moms at games taking photos isn't cool, so I think he's okay with the whole "no photo thing." I'm the one upset b/c I failed to document his first soccer season!!