Friday, November 17, 2006

The Babies go to the Ball


Can these really be those once tiny twins on the edge of adulthood? They pose here together, begrudgingly, as they have for 14 years. Their first official ball (the "Regimental" ball, honoring the cadets at the school). Because the school is a wee-bit of a ride away, the dates don't pick them up like the good old days. Instead, we rendezvous, the day going something like this...

Thankfully, the school's tennis team won the regional championship, so the Principal gave the kids the entire day off to get ready for the Ball. First (9:45 a.m. ) we headed to the orthodontist for A (what better way to start your day off of school? I'm such a great mom). Then to the school uniform store (11 am) to pick up another pair of uniform pants (another great idea by mom - remind them of their lovely uniform on their day off). Then home to switch kids, (12:30 pm) taking S first to the nail salon, while I wait, I run to pick up the corsage for A's date, then to the hair salon, (1:30 p.m.) while I wait, I run to the grocery store to pick up the 24 cupcakes Sh "forgot" to tell me she was bringing to the dinner, then home to throw on ball gown and suit, (2:45 pm) find shoes, jewelry, throw up your hands b/c you can't help A with the whole "tie" thing (not that he doesn't wear one every single day to school, mind you, but this one somehow seemed to want to tie differently), snap a few quick shots - not my best effort (3:35 pm) then to A's date's house (3:50 pm)

(A&A, how cute),

then to S's friend's house where she'd meet her date and have dinner, (sorry - no photos yet - he hadn't arrived) (4: 35 pm) then to the restaurant with A&A, (5:15 pm) then to the florist to pick up a boutonniere that we somehow forgot (5:30 pm) for S's date (bad mommy) but get a phone call that another mom to the rescue (only a fab mom comes up with an "extra" boutonniere (heck I can't even spell it)), then FINALLY home and out with K for a really special dinner. (6:30 pm). Only, what, 7 hours of driving/waiting in a day? But hey, they look great, and, I hope, are having a fab time. We get back in the car a little after midnight to go pick them up downtown - the ball ending at 1 a.m. Can't wait to hear all about it!

I also can't wait to see the photos S promised she'd take of her and Z. A's date and Z are in the JROTC program at the high school, thus the "hook up" such that my kids got to go to the all-military ball. The girls (i.e. A's date) didn't have to wear their uniforms. But the guys were in "dress whites." Z is rather tall and should cut a handsome figure next to S in her black/white. It killed me not to see them off. I would've stayed with S at her friend's where the folks were throwing a dinner for a bunch of the kids, but A and S had decided having dinner together was "gross" so they ended up in separate groups. By the time I made it back north through rush hour traffic to get A&A to their dinner date, it was too late to turn around and drive 35 minutes back to S. By then the whole "photo op" thing had been done, and I would've merely been an embarrassment. At least I'm learning, right? Z apparently bought the "photo package" available at the dance, so we should get some nice shots of the couple.

I'm glad I was able to be a small part of A's date - even if it was just dropping them at the restaurant (other parents were tapped to take them from restaurant to dance). I forgot to ask K to leave the SUV home, and the kids didn't want to be climbing over each other in my 2 door convertible (a little cold for the top down), so A came up with the idea of borrowing Pop's Cadillac. I wasn't psyched about driving a big, strange car in Friday night rush hour all over the city, but A thought it was totally cool. It is a classy ride, and he looked so good sitting in back with his date. Funny at 40 to call and say, "Hey Dad, can I borrow the car?!" Even funnier when I said, "I promise not to have an accident" and Mother said, "Don't worry - it's ok if you do." Thank goodness, I didn't. Although I did do something I'm sure my own parents would say I never did as a teenager - return it with a full tank of gas.

2 comments:

DF said...

Great pic's of S and A.

My A had a wonderful time at the NJrROTC ball she attended her junior year in HS, so I am sure S and A had fun.

I look forward to seen more pic's when they are posted.

JO said...

Sure.....you can tell they don't like each other....(don't tell em their cousin said so...but he looks awfully possessive of his sister!)

What great lookin kids ME!