Wow - How did it get to be November already? Yesterday afternoon we realized it was suddenly Halloween! Out came the decorations, the costumes, the frantic "what are we doing tonight" preparations. Seems high school, soccer, Homecoming and the Marathon all pushed Halloween to the "way back" seat (not just the back seat, but, you know, that third seat in the SUV that has its own zip code?!). Forgotten was the trip to the Halloween festival, with the hayride to the pumpkin patch where we buy way too many pumpkins and then the run through the corn maze, the hay maze and finishing the day eating wonderful homemade caramels. No pumpkin carving, no seed cooking. I even forgot to bring my costume to work (well, S's costume from last year that I was borrowing - the joys of a teenager who is your size) for our Halloween festival. My boss seriously told me to go home and get it or send a messenger (neither of which I had time to do).
In the end, the kids found some costumes - S donned black, some bunny ears and a tail, tossed some store bought cobwebs all over herself and - what's that? - a DUST BUNNY. A donned black, too, put some eye liner on, a sad face and went as an "emo" (something about a group of kids who are sad and emotional? I try to stay hip, but I am apparently losing it. What happened to "jocks, geeks, BMs and nerds"?). They rallied the friends, did some trick or treating, then back to the house to memorize Shakespeare. "Friends, romans, countrymen, lend me your ears...." They will be accosted in the halls of school today by the dreaded Brother M, anytime between arriving at school and leaving (even lunch isn't sacred) and have to spit out the entire speech in perfect prose. The truck to school was full of mumbling teens - which isn't abnormal except they were all mumbling Shakespeare!
So now it's November 1 - time to call my college friend L, as we do every Nov 1, and sing "Haul out the Holly, put up the Tree before my Spirit falls again!" Because to me, tis the season. No, I haven't forgotten Thanksgiving - it is part of the wonderful celebration of love of Christmas and giving thanks to God for sending his Son to save us all.
So Happy Holidays to you all! And Sorry Halloween - perhaps the kids are outgrowing you?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
A went as EMO. That cracked me up! C'mon ME catch up to the times! There are Goth Goths and Emo Goths...who are far more emo(tional). They listed to underground bands, wear vintage clothes...or all black...and depending on their emo ness..they are the ones who think teenagerishly that the whole world is going to heck in a handbasket...and they are depressed about it. To put it in our terms...these EMO kids are the depressed Punkers or our day. They would have listened to a TON of Depeche Mode.
Can you really be only 4 weeks younger than I? Must be the King keeping you so hip. I thought he was going to go as "elmo" and I couldn't figure out why he'd subject himself to such ridicule...
what's scary is my friends and colleagues think I'm so hip b/c I know blogging and myspace and listen to rap and alternative music with my kids, but you know the truth...
Post a Comment