Sunday, November 26, 2006

Back from the First of the Holidays

After much anticipation and excitement, Thanksgiving whipped by in a flurry of food, fun and fast cars. Who knew watching my bro-in-law F sleep could be so much fun? Yes, if you fall asleep after the Thanksgiving dinner and can sleep through 8 screeching family members in a wild game of "spoons" then you apparently deserve to be dressed up with a holiday napkin and various table decorations on your head while we take pictures. F, ever the good sport, laughed along when he awoke from his nap. I discovered there may be some Jimi Hendrix in me after all (as well as many other family members) and have garnered a new addiction for "Guitar Hero II" - thank goodness they don't make it for Xbox, and we don't have Play Station (any version). Of course, no one outplays my musical bro G, although after thousands of hours not studying at college, niece M puts us all away. Or maybe she's just bored with soccer season over. Anyway, a good time was had by all. And apparently good pie, too, as Sh admits to having eaten 5 pieces of apple pie (or was it 6?) in the last 3 days!! And the much anticipated "entire family portrait" came off without a hitch Saturday. Yes, all 20 of us gathered at the 'rents' place for a photo. We had much nashing of teeth throughout october and november as we debated the color and placement of said portrait. Mom wanted the piano in the photo, but what to do about all the windows? I toted my king size sheets up to CT to use as possible backdrops. In the end, the Lord gave us a sunny, warm day, so we moved it outside (the photo, not the piano)! Who knew - outside in CT in November?! And after 3,648 emails, the blue on adults and white on grandkids looked spectacular. I can't wait for the proofs! And Dad, be sure to send me a copy of G's "Oh ya gotta have faith" that we all performed on video. Only G could write a song so good that even my so-so Himes Gang could perform and make sound good! (Of course, G's talent covered up most of our misses).

Now it's back to school, to work, to deadlines and commitments. Looking forward to the weekly holiday parties, the progressively more wild little kids in Sunday School class as Christmas nears, the baking, the decorations that my Scrooge family will now allow me to start displaying with Thanksgiving a memory, the shopping, the wrapping, the giving, participating in community events, and enjoying the myriad of family activities. I love this time of year as people smile a little easier, laugh a little louder, give a little more. For me it is the Most Wonderful Time of the Year - I hope everyone will find a little Joy for themselves this season.

3 comments:

JO said...

Sounds like you had a crazy holiday like we did! Glad to hear it...so...where are the pics?!

meh said...

Pics? What, you think I'm that advanced? Maybe if I ever get home from work (which is where I'm posting from - again) I can put up some photos. Oh, maybe if I didn't fool around on the computer I could get home faster? No, I get in before 8 (only b/c of the kids' morning routine) but no one else shows til 9 or later. They like to kick it into high gear around 6pm...when I'm supposed to be home (yes I work "part time" HA).

Carol P. said...

I didn't know people worked part time in your field. Actually, I thought part time just meant 40 hours as opposed to 60+.

I do part time by not working on Thursday afternoons or Fridays. Of course, since I work in the den right next to the front door, I do check email, answer the phone on occasion and even schedule the rare meeting or local telecommuters lunch if it's the only time we can all get together. In between vacuuming, shopping, and so on.

Of course next year when E's in school all day, I'll proably switch to the 5 days a week while she's in school thing. Saves on babysitting dollars, plus I can do stuff after school too.

Anyway, I'm with JO -- when do we get to see the actual pictures? Just click on that little picture icon thingy and upload away already!