Somehow as life gets crazy, the posting gets more sporadic. Somehow I find myself at work at 10pm with most of what I arrived here this morning to do still on my plate. Sigh. Actually, that's a GOOD thing because it means partners are turning to me in their hour of "need" and giving me "important" emergency work. That's what I spent a large part of my day on today: putting out a fire for another partner's big Client.
OH And I won another pro bono social security case! And this one only took 5 days instead of 9 months or a year. And because of convoluted reasons, it wasn't really pro bono - the Firm Client offered to pay the bill for a former employee (or something) and I did a Big Favor for a Big Partner and his Big Client. More brownie points in the "what if I want to be a Partner someday" bank.
And speaking of Banking, that makes me remember that 2 short years from now my kids will be entering COLLEGE so I had better build up those, "I NEED TO BE PARTNER SO I CAN PAY COLLEGE COSTS" points!! So far I am moving in the right direction.
Which is a little bit scary in a twisted way. And a little bit unnerving when I look around the firm and see that if you do make partner but you don't pull your weight, after about 2 years you get the Royal Wave Buh--Bye. Of course, these partners came to the firm with no clients. And as of now, I think I have 4 whole clients to my name. OK so only 1 is currently active and paying bills. But you have to start somewhere! And The Big Partners seem to think I have what it takes to build up my own business. So that's good. (Um and bad because it means in addition to Billable Hours I have to spend a lot of time at conferences and networking events which 1) take me away from home and 2) eat into my life and my billable hour time!)
SO some nights I sit here at my desk, with much to do, and wonder where I really will be in a couple of years. I know where I want to live. And I have a plan for how to get there. But then I wonder about a lot of other things and wonder if it's the best plan?
And then I try to let go and refocus - it's all really His plan, isn't it? I seem to forget that - a lot. which is why I need to take time to reflect on it.
Yeah, I'm working on that, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey, congratulations on winning the case! And it's great to have career options and choices and be well-liked, right?
You have a plan. It seems like your heart is content with the plan right now. If you change your mind or your heart or if the plan doesn't seem to sit as well with you after a while, well, that's OK. You can fine-tune it or even change it radically.
You've demonstrated an amazing ability to land on your feet physically and mentally, even when life throws curveballs at you.
That's why they call it "a plan" not "my life cast in concrete for the next 40 years." The hard part isn't the fact that the plan changes in ways large and small. The hard part is keeping from getting stuck trying to make last year's, last month's, yesterday's plan fit to now's circumstances with no adjustments.
Thanks Carol P - you have an uncanny way of putting things into perspective and helping me see things from a new angle. It's one of the things that makes you so darned bright (or shows how bright you are - or something.) Anyway. I appreciate the encouragement!!
Post a Comment