I have a confession to make - I am not just a mom. I have recently discovered that I am a person of my own right. I'm not just BossMan's associate or my father's daughter or my dog's source of food and a warm place to sleep. I actually am me. And sometimes I get to do things for me. Because I want to. Because I can. It is the most liberating feeling in the world. Sometimes it's a scary feeling. But sometimes it's just plain fun.
And along with this discovery comes my new obsession (well, I'm not quite obsessed - yet). Salsa dancing. For months in the conference room while pouring over documents, KLN, TWA and I have shared stories, iPods and life. When it was KLN's turn to pick the music, she had us listen to hours of salsa music. OK TWA had enough of the cowbell, but listening to KLN talk about her friends and her lessons and her adventures got me to thinking that it might be fun. SO one day last week she said, "Want to come with me?" And I said, "YES." Now I have never taken dance lessons in my life - ok wait 8th grade with Mrs. Fishbein, does that count? And one day at a conference, but not years of ballet or anything. I can generally find a beat, but I'm not an accomplished dancer. Heck I'm not a dancer at all. But I have always wanted to be, so I said yes.
"Lessons" are at the local bar where they charge you a nominal fee, you hope that enough people show up, you take really fast instruction, you change partners quickly, and hope that you don't injure yourself or your partner too badly. The teacher was actually very good. The beginner lessons were ok - we were short on guys, but the teacher took me under his wing. Then I was going to "watch" the intermediate lessons, but there weren't enough girls, so I got dragged out. Fortunately, my partner was fairly experienced, extremely patient, and a strong leader. I got the hang of the basic steps and the intermediate steps quickly. And I learned to fake it, too. But best of all? I laughed like a fool and had the time of my life. I met lots of interesting people from all walks of life. And as KLN told me, it was no "meat market." It was just dancing and having fun. And a great workout, too! KLN said I didn't make a fool of myself - she was encouraging and said I learned quickly. And, she invited me back. So next week when the kids are again with K, I'll be back at lessons with KLN and her friends. I can't wait!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Nice Job! Salsa is one of my A's favorites as well. Good fun, good exercise.
Go, you! There's nothing like the feeling of moving to the music for sheer joy. Next, y'all will have to come to NC, and I'll teach you to Shag.
(ok, no, I really haven't started saying y'all. But I did take Shag lessons, and I agree that dancing is great!)
Way to go, though I remember you as a fine dancer, at least from JO's wedding. Of course, I have two left hands when it comes to dancin' feet, so what do I know?
But it's always fun to find something that you love and do it for the sheer joy of it!
Post a Comment