Another happy, proud moment in the house: the evening winter concert at the school. This year we had two kids in the performance: sh in the elite Wind Ensemble and Au in the Jazz Band. Both were outstanding. I had managed to get to the school early (!) and scored the perfect seat. I knew from her open house performance where she'd be sitting, so I choose a seat where I could see her face concentrating and see her fingers flying over the flute. And, lo and behold, I even got a few smiles and a wink out of her as we caught each other's eyes between songs! She is still my "baby duck" even after 15 years. Sigh. The Wind Ensemble hit every note and really outdid themselves. They have competed nationally and done well, but as every band geek knows, some days are better than others. And last night was perfection. Even she, who has grumbled about the band not being as good this year, was so proud and readily agreed they were the best ever.
The director moved the jazz band to the cafeteria - the jazz band is designed to be a comfortable, audience participation kind of performance. Apparently, according to AU, the band director thought people were too uptight during last year's performance, so he set the Jazz band up in the cafeteria and they played while we enjoyed refreshments. Yes, a few kids danced and we all sang along with "salt and peanuts." Au looked so serious on the piano. He's much harder to read than Sh. I think he had fun. The band was certainly spectacular, as always. they too have enjoyed wins in national competition. His girlfriend and her mom were in the audience to cheer him on. The best was after the performance when last year's English teacher and this year's best friend, "Brother Martin" came by and said, "wow, you can really play the piano!" The highest compliment from a formidable source.
Tonight starts the holidays for us. I am looking forward to a weekend of cookies and celebrating and being together. And, hopefully, gathering round the piano and sharing some good times and laughter!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Great job Sh and Au. High praise is deserved for the hard work!
Post a Comment