Sunday, December 23, 2007

Countdown to Christmas

Sigh, it's all happening too fast. Here comes Christmas!! Today (and yesterday) we made cookies! lots and lots of cookies!!! (sorry Jo, none will be in the mail, although I did think about it). Sh and I volunteered to make Grandmother's cookies for her this year, so we made a few extra batches and shared. Sh proved that she is truly growing up - she rolled out, cut out, baked and cooled off the infamous "Great Grandmother Faison Honey Cookies" without ANY help from me! Truly her batches turned out better than mine! Oh the pain and the joy at the same time....no. There are no photos Carol. I tried, but I was banned from the kitchen with the camera, "But mooomm I haven't done my hair and my clothes are a mess - no way are you posting this on your blog!" So you'll have to take my word for it that she has grown up...

Today we decorated the infamous honey cookies, and I made a few other batches. Then we went over to Grandmother's to deliver and I watched Sh and Pop play chess. He always creams her, but she gives him a run for his money every now and then. They are fun to watch. Grandmother kept coming in saying, "It sure is quiet in here." they were concentrating!!

And tonight, my favorite activity again ensued: caroling and singing by the piano. The best moment? When Au took Sh's hand and pulled her down next to him on the piano so they could do duets. After doing improv on the Peanuts soundtrack, (where did he learn to improv like that??!!) they pulled out the old Beatles duet book and had a blast. I so love listening to them! I am blessed to have these kids. Yes, sometimes when grades are down and rooms are messy and insults are flying, I forget what a blessing they are. But sometimes, like tonight, it hits me right between the eyes....

4 comments:

DF said...

Seems like we were not the only one's doing the honey dough cookies! Do Sh and Au eat as much dough at they bake? mine sure do.

Carol P. said...

I made the sugar cookie dough today (nobody likes the honey cookies but me, so I don't make 'em). We'll be rolling them out tomorrow morning and decorating in the afternoon. As well as baking the chocolate crinkles. Half of my fridge is taken up with cookie dough...

meh said...

I don't know what the chocolate crinkles are? But they sound good! And no, mine don't eat the dough as they bake, thank goodness. We all love the cookies so much, we're wondering if the few dozen we've got left after giving them away will be enough to get us through to tomorrow!!

Carol P. said...

Chocolate crinkles are a deep, chocolatey cookie that gets rolled in powdered sugar before baking. My mom made them every year, and they're DF's wife K's favorite (or so legend has it, right up there with chocolate almond ice cream and leaving her purse behind). The recipe is in the Betty Crocker Cooky [sic] book, or I can send it to you.

The picture on my blog has M stirring the flour into the dough. I took pictures this morning of J and M rolling and baking, which I'll probably post tonight while waiting for kids to go to sleep so we can finish up the Christmas morning prep...