Friday, October 20, 2006

Rant on airports

OK, so this whole airline travel "no gels or liquids unless it's less than 3 oz and in a ziplock" like that does anything? But I play along - buy a ziplock bag at the airport for 50 cents so that I can carry my emergency supply of tiny saline solution for my contact lens. I am going on a day trip, so not checking any luggage. ("Day" trip - HA becomes overnight trip, but that's another rant). No issues with the airport-bought ziplock, and I sail through security, well, after being selected for complete searching because I bought my ticket 3 minutes before going through security (they canceled my first flight), checked no bags, and had a return flight the same day. hmmm, sends up a few signals.

Anyway, the next morning I'm at the airport trying to go home, with my same ziplock baggie holding the same saline solution (that still is factory sealed, mind you), and security says "you can't use that ziplock bag, it's not the right size." I said, "Well, it's the one I bought at the airport up north yesterday so that I could take this factory sealed saline with me." They answer, "Sorry, go buy another one." It wasn't the additional 27 cents, it was the ridiculousness of the entire situation - like another 1 1/2 inches bigger ziplock is going to make a difference - that and the hike across the enormous international airport to find the blessed bag.

So now I am the proud owner of 2 ziplock bags approved for only certain airports.

Oh, and you're wondering if I stayed overnight, how I managed not to break the seal on the saline? I had eyedrops in my purse that I neglected to put in the ziplock and no one ever noticed at either airport. There, now don't you feel safe??

3 comments:

DF said...

Are you going to make a collection of various ziplock bags and present them to the airport screeners with the statement: "You chose which one."?

My baseline distance for a fly or drive decision has now reached 8 hours. If it can be reached in 8 hours of driving, I drive. the equates to approximately 500 mile, meaning I drive almost everywhere. I hate the hassles. I like the control, even if it means that I get home at 3AM.

DF said...

Then again, you may not fly all that much.

meh said...

Thank goodness I do not fly that much -and this would've met your "+500 mile" requirement anyway.

I am the "keeper of the kids" on a daily basis, so I try not to travel at all!