Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Aha Moments

I remember when he was 5 - getting the "itchys" 5 minutes into the torturous 15 required minutes of piano practicing and trying my patience until I wanted to scream (ok, so many times I did scream)...

Years of her switching the bass and treble clefs - was it the blonde hair, the left-handedness, or, as her piano teacher said, "did you leave your smarties on your pillow this morning?"...

Year after year after year of "I hate the piano - I'm quitting!!!"

the tears, the piano recitals, you get the picture...

Fast forward to tonight - 2 nearly 14 year olds, sitting side by side at the pianos (we moved the computer 88 key "machine" up to the living room from the basement where it, like the drums and guitar, sat unused), playing harmonizing parts of Billy Joel - she playing the regular melody, he improvising with the book he got from who knows where. The twins who generally fight 85% of their waking moments now giving over to the other for moments of keyboard glory. Impromptu "playing together" - I didn't think it possible. Competitive 99% of the time, her saying ,"You take this run" because she switched to flute a couple years ago while he continued with piano...

And Mom, standing in the doorway smiling so brightly I don't know how they could see beyond the glare.

Yes, it was worth it. Yes, they are truly priceless. No, didn't catch it on video. Some things the memory will just have to store...

2 comments:

JO said...

Sigh...just when you think there is no way on God's Green Earth that you spawned these creatures... you get one of these AHA Moments....and remember that for all of the screaming, crying and gnashing of the teeth (not to mention THEIR reactions)...brought you to this moment...and "ya done good".

Carol P. said...

In the same room? Interacting positively for more that a couple of minutes? With no TV or computer on? In my dreams! I'm jealous! Congrats!